Smart Life hangs/crashes when accessing data, on SOME Android devices

Discussion in 'Tuya App' started by Minimalist, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist New Member

This is driving me crazy, as I can NOT solve the apparent software bug of SmartLife.
    I am using the same app and revision on several Android devices, even in MEmu (Windows10 emulator for Android). All my WiFi devices are correctly listed and their proprietary visual screens will open up.
    But for ONE specific device (a power socket with energy monitoring) I have run into an unsolvable issue:
    when trying to open its historic (monthly) electricity chart its sliding window gets immediately stuck, the app freezes, for good. This did NOT happen before, started on my Android tablet out of the blue, while the same app works fine on my Android mobile phones, even in MEmu. For the same device, the same function.
    And now this very issue suddenly appeared in MEmu as well! As soon as I acccess the historic data the app dies. See attached screen shot of the display when the app got stuck.
    Cache wiping, deletion of all app data, even a de/reinstallation, rebooting, NOTHING will fix this issue once it appears. I only have TWO devices left where I can access the electricity charts of this WiFi socket without a crash.
    HOW TO DEBUG? HOW TO FIX? How can this error remain and survive a DEINSTALLATION and new installation of the app? Apparently SmartLife leaves residues elsewhere in Android that cannot be accessed nor wiped. Making the app unusable even after a reboot and reinstallation right out of the store.

What I have NOT tried yet: removing the questionable device entry in SmartLife, linking the device again. This will of course wipe ALL HISTORIC measurement results for this device for any viewer I am using, a huge data loss.

Who can help me, who understands the mechanism behind the scenes of SmartLife, can explain and fix this massive bug in the software?
    Thanks for any useful insight and suggestion!

TuyaHangs.jpg

2. Minimalist

Minimalist New Member

When testing/debugging old-rev versions of Smart Life the app does not crash as described above; it displays an error message 99999.
    See attached. I reported this in the '99999 error' thread in detail.
    This is the most insane error I ever had to debug (I worked in software development for 18 years..).
    An error that after its first appearance on a specific device will remain there FOREVER, can not be removed by cache or data deletion, by a reboot or a fresh installation of the crashing app.
    The issue MUST BE REMOTE; somewhere in China on a server that tracks our machine IDs and messes with these devices for life, with no way for you to ever see your own historic data on your machine again. All while you still can see the same data on other Android machines, until they exhibit the same issue,.

This is nasty, very very nasty..

SmartLifeCrash2.jpg

3. Stefan65

Stefan65 New Member

I had the same issue, viewing energy meter history totally freezes the app. This issue started happening around 15th March, it worked okay before.

I reported it to the app support, and it took some time, but now they have fixed it, and it works again! Much gratitude for Smart Life app support for this!

You might have to update the device list by pulling it down, but after that it should work okay. If not, please inform Smart Life app support (email address is in the Android Play store).