Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Security camera and flood light interference

Anonymous

Reaction score
Hello. I have a camera by my front door that has a porch light to the side of the view. Because of this, my camera doesn't switch to night mode. Therefore, the stuff close to the camera is well lit, while the back ground goes very dark. I do not want to relocate it. My question is this, If I use an IR floodlight aimed at the dark area, will my camera pick up the illumination while still in daytime mode? Thanks.

The answer is no. As we know IR camera has a photo-resistor to detect light, it's only sensitive to white light, not infrared light. So adding IR floodlight, the camera still can not switch to night mode. Camera can see both white light and IR light, so adding IR floodlight should help camera to see in dark. However, this is not true. Because intending to provide crispy vivid color image in the day time, the camera has a IR-CUT filter between lens and image sensor, IR-CUT filter (or ICR filter) will filter un-nature light including infrared. The camera stays on day mode, IR-CUT filter takes effect to prevent IR light enters into image sensor.

Back